The Shoreham B Power Station in Southwick was conceived in the 1940s when it became apparent that a new power station would be required to the meet the growing energy needs of the south east of England. Construction began in 1947.
The facility served its purpose for a number of decades. For reference, the chimneys were 350 ft high and had a 32 ft internal diameter at the base reducing to 24 feet internal diameter up at the at the top.
But the power station became obsolete and the chimneys needed to be demolished and they were felled in 1988 and 1998 respectively. A new gas power station now occupies the site. These videos show the demolitions of both stacks: